It wouldn’t be wrong to say that Sigmund Freud was the most popular personality in the history of Psychology. Yet, he was also the most controversial Psychoanalyst of the 20th century. Freud was responsible for making some striking claims about childhood, sexuality, memory, personality and mental health. Hence, it was on the basis of his work that other Psychologists built new ideas either out of affirmation or opposition.
A neurologist from Austria, Freud was the father of Psychoanalysis. His explanations of how and why we dream were groundbreaking for Psychology. Another eye-opener is his universal theory of the subconscious mind. This is the idea that nothing comes out of the blue. Accidents are not really accidents and coincidences are not really coincidences. In the back of our mind, even when we say things and claim that ‘we didn’t mean them,’ in reality we do. This was one of the harshest truths that Sigmund Freud discovered.
Countless books and studies have been written on the personality of Freud. Even today, people take inspiration from his work only to understand human psychology better. Here are 20 of his quotes to give some better psychological insight.
1. “The scope of one’s personality is defined by the magnitude of that problem which is capable of driving a person out of his wits.”
2. “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”
3. “The task of making people happy did not form part of the plan of Creation.”
— Tim Fargo (@tim_fargo) January 12, 2018
4. “Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise.”
5. “We are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love.”
Sigmund Freud (1856-1939)was an Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis
–> he created an entirely new approach to the understanding of the human personality.
Freud's family were Jewish but he was himself non-practicing. pic.twitter.com/n9KRAb0nox
— Lilian (@LilianLA2018) January 14, 2018
6. “Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive and will come forth later in uglier ways.”
7. “Out of your vulnerabilities will come your strength.”
8. “He that has eyes to see and ears to hear may convince himself that no mortal can keep a secret. If his lips are silent, he chatters with his fingertips; betrayal oozes out of him at every pore.”
9. “Whoever loves becomes humble. Those who love have, so to speak, pawned a part of their narcissism.”
10. “No, our science is no illusion. But an illusion it would be to suppose that what science cannot give us we can get elsewhere.”
"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." Sigmund Freud #sigmundfreud #freud #freudian #psychology #psychoanalysis #psychoanalyst #wien #intelectual #lifequotes #life #unconscious #philosophy #existentialcrisis #existentialism #anxiety #freedom #charlesbukowski #bukowski
11. “Where does a thought go when it’s forgotten?”
12. “The madman is a dreamer awake.”
13. “Immorality, no less than morality, has at all times found support in religion.”
14. “He does not believe that does not live according to his belief.”
Why do we dream? Freud’s answer is deceptively simple: the ultimate function of the dream is to enable the dreamer to stay asleep. #simple #fucksmeup #freud #sigmundfreud #logical #psychology #serious #sleep #dream #doctorprofessor #genius #letmesleepin #fuckhumans #shitpost #answerofallquestions #wisewords #overmind
15. “The virtuous man contents himself with dreaming that which the wicked man does in actual life.”
16. “Beauty has no obvious use; nor is there any clear cultural necessity for it. Yet civilization could not do without it.”
"We are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love."
— Allan Beveridge (@TheTwinPowers) January 6, 2018
17. “The intention that man should be happy is not in the plan of Creation.”
18. “Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.”
19. “If youth knew; if age could.”
20. “The more the fruits of knowledge become accessible to men, the more widespread is the decline of religious belief.”
21. “Men are more moral than they think and far more immoral than they can imagine.”
22. “Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.“
Freud 1926, carta a Romain Rolland: Reverenciei-vos como artista e apóstolo do amor à humanidade muitos anos antes de ver-vos. Eu mesmo sempre advoguei o amor à humanidade, não por sentimentalismo ou idealismo, mas por motivos sensatos, econômicos: porque, em face dos nossos impulsos instintivos e do mundo como é, fui forçado a considerar esse amor tão indispensável para a preservação da espécie humana quanto, por exemplo, a tecnologia. #sigmundfreud #psicologia #psicanálise #psicoterapia #insight #saúdemental #vidaleve #gratidão♥️
23. “Dreams are the royal road to the unconscious.”
24. “Public self is a conditioned construct of the inner psychological self.”
25. “There are no mistakes.”
26. “A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror.”
27. “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you’re not surrounded by fools.”
28. “The first indication of stupidity is a complete lack of shame.”
29. “Every normal person is, in fact, only normal in part.”
"The ego is not master in its own house."
— Allan Beveridge (@TheTwinPowers) January 10, 2018